Wednesday 19 November 2014

I don't have a defining moment.

When I was asked if I had a defining moment in my life, my mind went blank. I couldn’t think of a single moment that defined my entire existence and made me who I am today. Because there isn’t just one, theres millions and billions of those ‘defining moments’ happening each and every day. I was always raised with the idea that ‘everything happens for a reason’, and although that quote is very very cheesy, it’s also very very true. Everything that I’ve done in my life defines me, because it’s led for me to become the person I am today, and the person who I’ll be ten years from now. Like I could talk about how seeing Paul McCartney live was the greatest moment of my life due to how much I love The Beatles, and the different emotions I felt by seeing him live and in person. But I think that it’s the little things that are more defining in our lives. Little decisions we make that can change life as we know it. I mean, if I hadn’t chosen certain classes in whatever grade, I wouldn’t be friends with some of the people who I am friends with today. If I hadn’t chosen to do music class because one of my friends was going to do it going into Grade 9, I don’t think music would be half as important as it is to me now. See what I mean? These little decisions that we make on a daily basis that can possibly send our life in an entirely different direction, without us even knowing it. How are we supposed to just narrow it down to one moment, when ten years from now that moment will not be as significant as it is to us now. We have to cherish every moment, and treat it as the defining moment of our lives. That way we’re not dwelling in the past, or waiting for the future. By doing this we live in the present, and take each day as it comes, because each day is full of challenges that could alter your entire life. We don’t reflect on these little moments at all really, because they don’t seem significant to us and we forget them easily. I think by reflecting on these little moments, we’ll discover that there is more than just one way to define our life.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely, a single moment in a persons life cannot define them. It is a collection of all our decisions and past experiences that shape us into the people we are today.

    ReplyDelete